Get Your Veggies Quinoa Salad

Great picnic spot to eat my quinoa salad!

It’s now Week 3 of Dr. Fuhrman’s Holiday Challenge, how is everybody doing? Although I’m not losing very much weight (1.5 pounds so far), the Challenge has been helpful so far in re-focusing me on eating more vegetables and thinking about the emotional aspects of eating. If you’re like me and have had an unhealthy relationship with food or your body, then it takes a lot of work to re-build those connections.

My blog friend Wendy of Healthy Girl’s Kitchen wrote a great post here for people just starting out on Dr. Fuhrman’s plan. In this post, she lists some of her favorite books to help along the way.

I’ve also been watching Kirk Hamilton’s new cooking videos on YouTube, “The Sloppy Vegan.” Kirk does a great job of making quick and easy healthy meals. I was inspired by his video on quinoa salad to make my own. As you can see from the picture above, the salad is a great dish to take on the road. I headed to the beach this weekend, although it was too cold to eat outside so I enjoyed the view from my car.

The salad is enormous depending on how many vegetables you add. I wanted to eat it all week so I kept adding more and more ingredients. Check out the size of the bowl compared with a medium-sized apple (which I also ended up chopping up and adding to the mix):

Phew! That’s a lot of vegetables, don’t you think? The beauty of this salad is that you can throw in whatever is taking up space in your refrigerator drawer.

Speaking of veggies, I found another delicious way to add them into meals and that is as a topping for soups. In this case, I cup up some fresh basil, onions and yellow bell pepper:

Stirred them into my soup:

The vegetables added great crunch and flavor!

I’m working on my last Microbiology lab where I’ve swabbed surfaces around the house. I’ll post my results in a few days. Be afraid, be very afraid. I’m so looking forward to having time off from school later this month although I’ve just registered for an independent study course that I can start at any time. Doh! In the spring I’ll be taking two courses for my master’s in public health nutrition that should be fairly interesting: Nutrition in the Developing World and Introduction to the U.S. Healthcare System. Do you have time off for the holidays and do you have any exciting plans?

Comments

This looks delicious – what a HUGE salad! I also love the idea of using those unused veggies to top off soups, although I haven’t jumped on the soup bandwagon this year yet. Strange, huh?

We’re hoping for a trip around Christmas, but no firm plans yet. Still on the lookout for the “perfect deal”.

I love those kind of ‘chuck everything in’ salads, so easy, yummy, lots of variety- how can you go wrong?
    I’m finding the same thing weight loss wise- but I’m feeling much better eating more fruit and veg so I’ll take it.
    Thanks again for sharing your journey & recipes :)

Mmmmm….I want the salad! I love salads where the pieces are all small :)

Hope the end of the semester speeds by for you—I’m counting down for my face-to-face classes to be over, but honestly, it’s way easier to be the teacher and just grade everything than it is to do the work! I will have a week off a christmas…and I’m totally excited about that (it only happens once a year in online education!).

Thanks for the comment, Lisa! I agree, I like my veggies and salads in small bites. The only chunks I eat are chocolate, ha ha. :) Enjoy the end of your semester, too and happy holidays!

4. Maxine says

Just made the salad for my lunch tomorrow, I added fresh dill and current. Love it, it’s wonderful, thanks for the great recipe!

I’m making that salad! Yummers! We’re having a relaxing Christmas home surrounded by family. I think you’ve only lost 1.5 pounds because you don’t really have any weight to lose. You’re tiny!

Hi Christy, a relaxing holiday sounds wonderful. I am getting pretty close to my goal weight and it is definitely tougher. As long as I continue eating healthy foods, I think that’s a good sign.

6. Sara (the veggie eco-life) says

This looks divine! I love a salad with grains. Good luck with the rest of the holiday challenge :)

I was looking for something cool for this very hot memorial day weekend, and this hit the spot! It’s also a very pretty dish- perfect for bringing something vegan to those cookouts of summer. Between this and the lentil rice salad, I am all set for those sunny summer days :)

8. latoya says

just made today and this is definitely going to be a keeper in my arsenal of go-to healthy and tasty recipes.

YUMMY!

1. […] in the heat, I have a cold salad that is refreshing and nutritious. It’s a new spin on my Get Your Veggies Quinoa Salad that I have made previously. For those of us at the beach, we’re not exactly suffering with heat, it’s actually the […]