How to Make Steamed Collard Wraps

I finally made collard wraps!!! I tried this back in March of this year, but accidentally used chard instead of collard greens and it was a disaster.

The collards were so much easier to handle. I cut them off the stem like this:

Making steamed collard wraps from Carrie on LivingAnd put them in a pot of boiling water to soften them and make them more appetizing and digestible. They turned a bright green in less than a minute. I rinsed them with cold water to stop them cooking and to make them cool enough to handle:

Making steamed collard wraps from Carrie on LivingThen, I laid out the fixins’ including hummus, red pepper strips, avocado and sliced onion:

Making steamed collard wraps from Carrie on Living I built the wrap like a burrito (note: stay away from the edges):

Making steamed collard wraps from Carrie on LivingAnd folded it over:

Making steamed collard wraps from Carrie on LivingI was soooo proud of myself. I served the wraps with some chopped up Asian pear. The collard green itself was pretty mild in flavor and had a nice texture. I don’t know how portable this type of wrap would be, I ended up eating it with a fork and knife. I will for sure be making these in the future as an alternative to a regular grain-based wrap.

Making steamed collard wraps from Carrie on Living

Pin this guide for later!How to Make Steamed Collard Wraps from Carrie on LivingMy goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!

Comments

Great reflection on the lessons! It’s always so interesting to look back. I think the perfectionism one resonates with me—sometimes I think that food and choices happen in an “all or nothing” way…and they really don’t. Life is much more pleasant when I forgive myself for not being so strict about things!

I love the quarters idea. I was torn about what to give out as a new vegan – luckily I found mini oreos at the store! :)

Thanks for sharing the lessons you’ve learned over the past year. It’s helpful to read everyone’s journey and that we don’t have to be perfect from the start.

I’m very interested in the lessons you’ve learned. I’m taking my first tenuous steps towards a vegetarian lifestyle, and while I’m enamored with the idea, I’m finding the execution to be difficult at best. Living with my omnivore boyfriend isn’t making it any easier either. Guess I’ll have to just keep trying.

4. Dawn says

HI Carrie–I have visited your blog in the past. I think I found you from one of your comments on FatFreeVeganKitchen. Anyway this is the first time I am commenting. I like how you post when things don’t always turn out perfectly.
    I make collard wraps sometimes too. After I blanch them I lay them out flat and using a sharp paring knife cut off the stem along the leaf. They roll up much easier this way. And stay wrapped up better I think. Also the bigger tougher leaves I blanch for maybe a minute longer. They stay that beautiful bright green but are a little more tender. I also tend to wrap them a bit like you do for stuffed grape leaves. Roll up a bit of the stem end of the leaf then wrap up the sides. Then tuck the top down. I hope you know what I mean. That reads kind of funny. This way they are quite portable. I have packed them for picnic lunches. Worked out great.
    Thanks for your inspiring recipes!

Hi Dawn, thanks for commenting and for the tips on making collard wraps. I’m glad I tried them again and I’ll use your advice the next time I prepare them, I think it takes a little practice to get them right. Take care, Carrie

5. Rebecca says

This was such a great post! I love your 10 lessons. What an amazing year it has been. I like how you said that veganism is about compassion – that is a beautiful way to live your life. You are an inspiration.

6. Ginny says

I loved reading your vegan lessons; so very inspiring! Congratulations on your first year – it seems like it flew right by!

I don’t think I care for too many holidays either. My cynical side says this, “it’s just another way for Walmart and Target (and a million other stores) to profit even more.” Have you noticed that in the last few years, Christmas buys are displayed way before we’re given the chance to enjoy Halloween? What’s the rush?!?? > . <

I love your quarter idea!! What did the kids think?

Hi Ginny, I totally agree with you in that holidays now just seem like a way for big box stores to earn more money. Honestly, what is the rush? The quarters were a big hit! Some of the kids yelled, “I got money!” to their parents and it was really cute. I am going to do that from now on for Halloween. Plus, I can use any leftovers for the parking meters. :) Have a great rest of your weekend!