Anti-Cancer Breakfast Smoothie

Today is the first day of Vegan MoFo 2011, the Vegan Month of Food! The idea for this event is to get as many bloggers as possible posting vegan recipes and meal ideas during the entire month of October.

For my first post, I want to share this Anti-Cancer Breakfast Smoothie. It’s pretty much an evolution of my Energizing Green Smoothie, but with a special ingredient:

Anti-Cancer Breakfast Smoothie from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Frozen broccoli florets!

Studies show that there are compounds in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli that fight cancer. How cool is that? However, as far as we know, these compounds are only present in raw cruciferous, not cooked. So, I chose to add these raw, frozen florets to my green smoothie. I can’t even taste them (I usually can’t stand the smell or taste of broccoli) and they actually thicken the overall smoothie.

Here is the recipe:

Anti-Cancer Breakfast Smoothie

Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 2-4
Ingredients
  • ¼ cup hemp seeds
  • 3 cups filtered water
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • ½ cup frozen or fresh pomegranate arils
  • 4 cups raw kale
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • ¼ teaspoon amla powder
  • 2 tablespoons flax meal
  • 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
  • ½ cup frozen raw broccoli florets
  • juice of one lime
Instructions
  1. Combine hemp seeds and water in a high-speed blender and process on high for 15 seconds. Next, add the banana, frozen strawberries, and pomegranate arils and blend on high again. Lastly, add the greens, cocoa powder, amla powder, flax meal, ground chia seeds, broccoli, and lime juice and blend one last time until smooth. Serve immediately.

Doesn’t this just scream “eat me, I’m healthy!”?

Fortunately, healthy = delicious in this case.

I’m still on the road from my trip to San Francisco, but I’ll be back soon with photos and stories of my adventures.

Do you drink green smoothies and do you have any secret ingredients you’d like to share?

Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+.

And, if you have an iPhone or iPad, be sure to download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring over 150 healthy, whole food recipes.

Comments

I didn’t know that about broccoli, and I haven’t ever tried it in a smoothie. I usually stick to spinach and kale. I have everything to make this though, so I’m going to try this for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks a bunch!

Hi Isobelle, let me know when you try adding the broccoli and if you like it. I can’t even taste it but I love knowing I’m getting the health benefits of the broccoli.

This looks utterly fantastic – seriously. I actually LOVE broccoli, but have never thought to put it in a smoothie before! I’m so excited about this idea…

Re: your question – I like adding flax seeds (which grind down into meal) or flax oil, and the occasional handful of spinach or kale to my smoothies, but it appears as though you already do that! Oh, a spoonful of almond butter can be delicious, too!

PS Hope you don’t mind that I plan on linking to this for my Monday’s Vegan MoFo Round-Up post :)

Thanks JD! Let me know how you like the broccoli in the smoothie. I honestly can’t even taste it. I love your idea of adding a spoonful of almond butter to smoothies, I haven’t tried that and I bet it’s delicious. Yes, do please link my post to your blog, that would be really great.

Hi Robyn, that’s how I started, I was so nervous about ruining the flavor. Then, I got braver and added more and more. I still can’t believe I’m eating veggies for breakfast! :)

This looks wonderful! I’ve never put frozen broccoli in my smoothies before. I have put cooked broccoli in it which was not my favorite but I think this way would work better. I too love almond butter in my smoothies, or any nut butter really. I have found that I don’t like apples in my smoothies but I love berries and frozen watermelon. :)

4. Jennifer says

Chia seeds! I love how they thicken it up! I also love to toss in whole, peeled oranges. I prefer bananas for sweetening.

Great suggestions! I love chia seeds but for some reason have never added them to smoothies. And, I will definitely try adding oranges when they come in season. Thx!

Just made this smoothie this morning. Though we start every day with a green smoothie, this was the first time we incorporated broccoli to it. Though I did taste the broccoli, I didn’t mind that, and I think the fact that it was frozen added nicely to the smooth texture. We had some greens from the CSA, which I later realized were mustard greens, so that was a bit odd. But all in all, we loved it anyway. We also didn’t have any bananas, so added a bit more mango. But it was extremely filling and really good!!

Our usual morning green smoothies are something like: frozen spinach, frozen berries, to smooth the texture we throw in some frozen peaches or mango, spirulina, Vega powder, and water. There are, of course, a zillion variations, including chia seeds, flax seeds, ginger, adding fresh-squeezed juice (like apple/ginger/kale juice), etc. We try not to use too many bananas, but the Vitamix still keeps it a lovely texture.

This was a great recipe. I’m really happy to have discovered it. Thank you, as always, for the creative suggestions, Carrie!!

Hi again! I have used mustard greens in my smoothies and have to say that I cannot STAND the taste of them. Naaaasty! I’m glad you liked the smoothie overall, I really like using the hemp seeds because I don’t eat enough of them otherwise. I like your suggestion about adding veggie or fruit juices to the smoothies as well, I am going to have to try that.

Hi Carrie!
    Thanks For Reminding Us Of Your Special Ingredient Broccoli For Anti-Cancer Green Smoothies! You Are Right, According To My Recent Research On What To Put Into Cancer Fighting Smoothies. Kale & Broccoli, Asparagus, Parsley, Steamed Cherry Tomates Or Asparagus & , Brazil Nuts Are Some Of The High Alkalizing Anti-Angio-gensis Foods That Cut Off The Blood Supply To Tumors, According Dr.William.L i Of TEDTalks. I Was Concerned About The Fruit Sugars For Cancer Patients In These Smoothies Since Acidosis Is The Primary Problem. I Appreciate Any Insight On This, Because I Believe Smoothies Should Be As Tasty As Possible, Also. So, When Do We Have Enough Fruit Sugars In Our Smoothies?
    FaithAnsah

7. Olivia says

Wow, I’ll definitely be having this one for breakfast tomorrow! The frozen broccoli is raw, right? I’ve got broccolini in my fridge that I need to use up, hopefully it works just as well… What do you think would go with asparagus? x

Cool, let me know how you like it Olivia! Yes, the broccoli is raw although I think some manufacturers blanch it before freezing, so I’m not 100% sure. I really like the taste of asparagus so I haven’t used it in a smoothie, I usually eat it as part of a salad with lunch or dinner.

8. Lisa says

Fresh ginger is my favorite addition to a green smoothie! I don’t even bother to peel or grate it, just cut a few slices off and the vitamix does the rest! Sometimes I’ll add ground cinnamon too…

Hi Lisa! Brilliant!!! I LOVE the idea of using ginger in a smoothie, I am already imaging the amazing combos I could make: pineapple, ginger and strawberries is coming to mind. Thank you!

9. Charlie says

1/2 Avocado is my favorite in a smoothie, it just seems to give a really creamy texture. Bananas no matter what, flax too. Everything else is up in the air!

Hi Charlie, I haven’t gotten into the habit of adding avocado to my smoothies, probably because I love eating them plain so much. I also love bananas and flax in my smoothies, plus a good scoop of cacao powder to make it chocolatey. :)

Hi Carrie! I just ran across this site while looking for vegan and raw recipes for myself. What a great informative and inspirational site! I want you to know I am grateful for you sharing this experience. And last but not least I am holding you will have a safe an swift healing. Be blessed Karen

11. Robin says

So do you just put the tofu in the blender straight from the package or do you cook it? I didn’t think you could eat tofu raw! Also, where did you find frozen pomegranite arils? Did you buy fresh and freeze yourself?

Hi Robin! Sorry for the delay in answering your questions. I don’t cook the pudding and, yes, the tofu can be eaten right out of the package. Some people have mentioned that there can be an aftertaste, but I haven’t noticed that. In regards to the pomegranates, I have found frozen seeds at the regular grocery store but I most often buy the whole pomegranate and seed it myself to throw in my morning smoothie. It takes more effort, but it is much more cost-effective than buying the seeds frozen. I hope that answers your questions! If not, please let me know. :)

Thanks for the question, Joan. Yes, my smoothies do fill me up for my morning workout until lunchtime. I sometimes add a scoop of protein powder to get more nutrition.

12. shmrd says

There are a lot of cruciferous veggies you could throw in there and get the same benefits. Look up a list. All cruciferous veggies originated from one wild mustard plant. Cool, random facts.

Hi Sue. You can substitute any non-dairy milk for the hemp seeds. You can use regular cocoa powder instead of cacao, substitute any berry for the pomegranate, and just leave out the flax meal.

Danielle, yes, but best consumed within 24 hours. You can also freeze the leftovers and then defrost them when you’re ready to consume. :)

13. Monica White says

I have an awesome smoothie recipe: the juice of about 4 oranges, 1 cup almond milk, about 2 cups frozen pineapple, 1 mango, 2 to 3 cups spinach or kale, * optional 1-2 TBS unsweetened shredded coconut, 1-2 TBS ground Flax/Chia

14. gthomson says

My green smoothie is similar to yours, and with broccoli, also.
    I also started to add in mushrooms at times, and I hate mushrooms – the texture.
    When I use either broccoli and/or mushrooms, I have to do them in a food processor first – I have a small one cup food processor that works great for it.
    Not sure how it works with them frozen, but with fresh it chops them both up small enough that I don’t even notice they’re in there.

1. […] the way, in case you’re wondering how I eat watercress, I have only blended it into a green smoothie, I have not eaten it in a salad because I’ve heard it is bitter. If I try any other recipes […]