Today is a fun day because I get to post a recipe from Brendan Brazier’s new book, Thrive Foods!
I also really liked the recipes included in this book. I chose to make the Sour Cream & Onion Kale Chips because 1. I used to looooove eating sour cream & onion potato chips when I was little and 2. I have only made kale chips one other time and it was a disaster.
To prevent another kale chip mishap, I followed the directions carefully. I started with a bunch of organic curly kale:
I just threw away the stalks although I’m sure you could juice them if you wanted to. Next I combined the flavorings in my Vita-Mix, but you can also use a regular blender. The ingredients included cashews, water, onion powder, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, salt and fresh parsley which I had to leave out since I forgot to buy some (printable recipe below):
Then, you just bake them at 250 degrees for about 60-70 minutes. The instructions said to toss once during cooking, but mine didn’t really toss well so I just kind of moved them around. Here’s what they looked like when finished:
Here’s the recipe, I re-wrote it in my own words and made the parsley and salt optional since I left them out.
From what I understand, Brenda is also the creator of Vega Foods, the vegan protein powder supplement. He has also authored a number of other books. If you want to find out more about his work, check out his Thrive in 30 website.
- 1 bunch curly kale
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wash and dry kale leaves thoroughly. Pull off kale leaves from stalks in chip-sized pieces and put into large bowl. Combine the cashews and soaking water, onion powder, garlic powder, vinegar, salt and parsley in a blender and whirl until smooth. Pour mixture over kale leaves and use hands to distribute cream over all of the leaves. Lay out leaves on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets and bake for 60-70 minutes or until crispy.