Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Stew

I think fall might be my favorite season. I love the coolness in the air and the transition to warmer clothes. As a hermit homebody, I like the shorter days that force me indoors to cook, read books or just cozy up to the fireplace. What I love most of all about fall is the introduction of fall fruits and vegetables.

It is a little early for butternut squash at my farmers’ market, but I bought some at the store that I roasted in a small amount of coconut oil to add into a stew. I used a ton of other veggies including blanched cauliflower:

Cauliflower for my soup

Chard torn into bits:

Chard for my soup.

And all of these goodies (corn, peppers, onions, garlic and beans):

Butternut & Cauliflower Soup Ingredients from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

I layered the vegetables into my biggest pot:

And just added water to cover. Then I simmered it for 20ish minutes and used my hand-immersion blender to make it smooth but still chunky:

It was really warming and nutritious and made about 12 servings, most of which went into the freezer for future meals. You could say I’m stocking up for the winter?

Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Stew
Fall-Inspired Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Stew - Serves 10-12
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 10-12
  • 1 large butternut squash, cut up and roasted in a small amount of coconut oil at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
  • 1 head cauliflower, chopped and blanched for 3 minutes
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 head of chard, washed and torn into bits
  • corn kernels from 5 ears of corn or about 1½ cups (you can use fresh, canned or frozen)
  • 3 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 cups beans
  • 6 cups water
  1. In a large pot, water-saute onion, garlic and peppers for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
  2. Add chard and sauté until wilted.
  3. Add beans, squash and cauliflower and cover with water (about 6 cups).
  4. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Use a hand-immersion blender to smoothen texture but keep it chunky.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.

It looks great! I don’t like cauliflower, but I can imagine that it is easily replaced by another vegetable (another reason why I love soups).

Sometimes I’m jealous that you had the heart to change your profession. I’m becoming more and more interested in food, nutrition and health and would love to know more about it.

Hi Sara, I used to hate cauliflower until I tried blanching it. Also, in the soup it doesn’t really have any flavor, you might want to try it again. I find cooked cauliflower a lot less offensive than broccoli. It’s funny that you say you’re jealous of me because I am usually the one battling jealousy of other people, so I know how you feel. I originally wanted to be a doctor when I was in college and so I always battle jealousy when people say they are going to medical school. But, becoming a dietitian fits well into my lifestyle where going to medical school wouldn’t. I guess the only thing I can say is that you can still follow your passion without totally changing your life and just try to be grateful for what you have, that’s what I try to do. :)

Thank you for the tip!
        I always try to be grateful for what I have, I think it’s something about the human kind to just want that tiny bit more ;). I’m happy with where I am right now, I think it’s something for the future (or maybe I’ve changed my mind by then). Anyway, good luck with it!

The stew looks awesome! I love how it looks and the essence of fall :)
    I love using pumpkin in the fall–in everything!
    Good luck with your busy week!

3. Robyn :) says

I have a question….I am not a fan of fresh squash as I find the thick skin hard to deal with. How do you remove the skin? peel it? cut it away?

I want to try this, but minus the cauliflower LOL Not a fan.

I love chard!! It makes my stir frys pretty :)

Hi Robyn, if I’m in a hurry, I’ll buy the pre-cut butternut squash and I always buy the canned pumpkin. To prepare a butternut squash, I use a vegetable peeler to cut off the skin. Then, I use my biggest knife to cut it in half to get out the seeds. Then, I cut it into chunks. The kabocha squash is easier to prep because the skin is edible (and delicious!). For that one, I just cut it in half, empty out the seeds and then cut it into slices. I usually roast squash in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or so, usually in a little bit of coconut oil. YUM!

4. judy says

Hi Carrie…I made this last night and it was AMAZING!!!! So good, so healthy….perfect for the first cool night of autumn!!!! I am SO happy there was enough for dinner tonight too!!!

Hi Judy, thanks for letting me know! I’m so glad that you liked it. Yes, I love having leftovers, it’s so convenient and even better when it’s something healthy. :)

5. Helen says

How scrumptious this soup looks! And chock full of fall veggies. Mmmm… I love cauliflower, though typically not in soup, but I think that blending it up like you’ve done will solve that (like you told Sara).