Summer has arrived with a vengeance in Southern California! It has not only been hot here, but humid as well. I took a side trip to San Diego earlier this week to visit family and my bff, Valerie:
That’s me on the right. We have been friends since 9th grade and she’s the one who originally opened my mind to veganism. It’s been such a cool thing to share it with her. It was even warm at the beach!
I remember eating all kinds of frozen desserts as a kid including my favorite, Magic Shell! Who knew that this frankenfood contained all kinds of scary ingredients including partially hydrogenated oils? Oh well.
Dr. Fuhrman has a recipe on his member center for Fudgesicles that inspired me to try them. I did two different versions and came up with this recipe to share. If you have kids or just want a sweet treat for yourself, I highly recommend these, they are creamy, sweet and decadent without any nasty ingredients. If you want an authentic experience, you’ll need some cute molds such as these:
The freezer does all the work to make these chocolatey, perfect-looking treats! Good luck not eating all of them yourself.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 to 1½ cups unsweetened soymilk
- ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 heaping tablespoons raw cacao powder (you can substitute cocoa powder if needed)
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal (optional)
- 6-8 pitted dates
- splash of vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and whirl until smooth, adding additional soymilk if necessary.
- Taste the mixture and add more dates if not sweet enough.
- Pour into molds and freeze for several hours until frozen through.
- You may need to pour hot water over the molds to remove the fudgesicles.