Tempeh & Black Bean Tacos

Tempeh, beans and vegetables seem to be a common theme in my kitchen lately. Instead of making my standard Bean and Tempeh Stew, though, last night I made Tempeh and Black Bean Tacos. I was inspired by a dish I had at an awesome vegan cafe recently. I even asked which brand of corn tortillas they used at the restaurant and bought them for myself (they’re Food For Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas in case you were wondering). I also made my World’s Easiest Guacamole to go on top (ingredients: avos, lime juice and onion).

I started with a lot of veggies and about two cups of black beans I cooked in the pressure cooker:

I heated up some water and started layering the veggies in my biggest pot:

I like to wait a few minutes and then add more layers:

One more layer with the tempeh, beans and a cup of water to “loosen” it up:

I simmered the whole thing for about 10 minutes and then served in on top of one of the tortillas with the guac:

Really good and I made enough for a lot of leftovers. Here’s the recipe in a printable format:

So remember last week when I mentioned my guest post coming up on the blog JL Goes Vegan? Well, it was published on Monday and the link is here! The title is “The Health Reasons for Going Vegan” and it’s part of JL’s Vegan 101 series. I’m so honored to be a part of it and I really enjoyed writing the article. It was my first real attempt at a scientifically-backed post based upon my training in my MPH program. Here’s to good research skills! If you have a chance, please visit the site and leave a comment on this post or JL’s site, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

Carrie, thank you so much for your excellent contribution to the Vegan 101 series! It was incredibly informative and I know very helpful to new vegans, and vegan-curious folks, who want to better understand why it’s so GOOD FOR US to eat a vegan diet!

2. eva @5fruitsNveggies says

carrie, i am just exploring tempeh right now…so far i am quite impressed…one time i ate it raw, and dismissed it…but i did not realize at that time that i was supposed to cook it, and wow! it works so well and takes on the flavor of whatever sauces and adds texture

• eva @5fruitsNveggies says

i always get a little worried that there might be some loss in nutrition by cooking…i know that tempeh is fermented and i wonder if the benefits of the ‘live’ fermentation is lost when cooking tempeh?

Wow, this is such a great question that I never even considered. I did a little bit of research and it looks like most package tempeh is pasteurized which would kill the good (and bad) bacteria. Darn! Thanks for bringing up this point, though.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing :)

I haven’t read your guest post yet—but I’ll go read it now. I love research-based posts!

4. LisaR says

Thanks for posting these recipes! Your blog gave me the last bit of confidence I needed to switch from vegetarian to vegan. I’m on day 3 of the Eat to Live 6 week challenge.
    Last night I made these tacos and I used gluten-free chia and corn tortillas. It was my first time cooking with tempeh. They were amazing! It really helped me to feel like I can see this through.

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks for that really nice message, Lisa. I can’t tell you how much your kind words mean to me. Keep up the good work on the Challenge!!! :)