El Masticator: Making My First Vegetable Juice

If you follow me on Twitter, you know how excited I was last week about the delivery of my juicer! My Twitter friends thought it was funny that I called my juicer “the masticator.” It arrived Thursday and I finally made it to the store yesterday to get the appropriate ingredients. I knew for sure that I wanted to juice kale, but I relied on the advice of my blog buddy JL for advice on the other ingredients. I settled on carrots, apples, kale and lemon for my first juice.

But, let me back up a minute. I had a juicer in the past, it was the centrifugal kind. Honestly, I found it to be messy and hard to clean. I used it to juice carrots and apples and that’s about it. I actually ended up giving it away to Goodwill in a fit of spring cleaning a few years back. This time, I did a little more research on the best way to juice greens. I settled on the masticating style and ordered this one through Costco:

Isn’t it cute? It’s an Omega brand and it cost me about $250. Here’s what it looks like in my kitchen (you can see me in the chrome base!):

The chopped fruits and vegetables go in the top and the juice goes into the container closest to the base. The pulp comes out the end into the canister furthest away. I prepped my ingredients last night to make it easier to juice them this morning. Here they are in the bowl, this amount made about 2, 8-ounce glasses of juice or 16 oz. total. I used one bunch of kale, 3 apples, 3 carrots and 1 lemon (peeled):

This type of juicer is quite different than the centrifugal kind because it runs at a slower speed and the lower heat that is produced supposedly protects the enzymes and nutrients from the produce. It also can handle greens very well. I ran the pulp through twice to ensure that I got all the juice out. The juice was so pretty!

I poured it into two pretty glasses, one for me and one for Alan (my husband). The smell was a little disturbing, it definitely was a green juice. But, the taste was pretty good!

Overall, I LOVE my juicer! I will likely adjust my ingredients over time. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or questions about juicing?

Comments

1. DeeDee says

I too have tried juicers through the years and gave up (much like your experience) with your first juicer) because the prep and cleanup was time-consuming. Plus I never came up with a palatable enough juice that made it worth the effort. I look forward to following your adventures with this juicer. I’ve always wanted to do the juice thing but never found a satisfying way to follow through.

Thanks for the comment, DeeDee. I think my tolerance to green juice might be higher because I’ve been drinking green smoothies for awhile now. I’ll keep you updated on my adventures in juicing! :)

Ohhhhh, great suggestion on the video! I have been wanting to jump into the world of video blogging and this might be the perfect topic, thanks!

Hi Kate, thanks for the comment. I bought some ginger to add next time, I’ve heard that you just need a little to get some zing.

I just got a juicer as well! I have only made a carrot & apple juice and I was surprised at how many pieces of each I need to make 1 pint glass of juice! I’m trying to find more juice recipes with kale, so thanks for posting this!

Hi Briana, I have been surprised too at how many veggies it takes to make juice. I may look online to find some recipes using the pulp. If I find any good ones, I’ll post them on my blog. Happy juicing! :)

• hiro says

Thanks for the blog.

The pulp actually has alot you can do with it: thicken soups, use as a part base for vegan burgers or in bread stuffs (muffins, crackers etc), latkes etc, use in things like curry, hummus / sauces, using it in home made health bars, use in smoothies / ice cream (I was what!? with that one), dog food, use in garden mulch or toss it outside for critters. I read where someone juiced and separated the pulp into flavors that went well w/ each other, and they baked it or rolled it up to use in ceral / oatmeal flavor. They even had survivalist dude who would ferment it in a large airtight jar to make cleaning enzymes (that you would use instead of oven cleaner or 409 etc).

I do both juicing and blending, but juicing seems to really liven me up, and I get a tiny smidgen of a high (like 420 but I don’t do that stuff anymore). Blending just feels like eating. But I have to force myself to juice (as opposed to blend) because I don’t like to waste food, and pulp . . .